Sunday, January 16, 2011

Introduction


I am on a spiritual journey to visit all the churches in Petaluma, California, where I live. I believe God has me on this journey for a time to more fully experience the Body of Christ where I live, in all its flavors and traditions.

I am not doing this to look for a church. When you are looking for a church, you visit churches with a specific purpose in mind, to evaluate whether the church you are visiting is what you want in a home congregation.

Instead, I am enjoying meeting the many Christians throughout the Body of Christ in my community, and enjoying the flavor and tradition of the congregation I am visiting. I am also finding this to be an expanding and challenging experience for me.
When we attend the same church for many years, which I have in the past, we tend to think of the Body of Christ in terms of the congregation we attend, and we tend to think the tradition at our church is the correct one. As I visit the various church congregations, I am exposed to how flexible the Body of Christ is, and I am stretched myself, which requires me to become more flexible.

That doesn't mean I accept anything and everything. I am an orthodox Christian, and I still seek orthodox Christianity. So I am not including non-orthodox churches in this journey. Yet, within orthodox Christianity, there is still a wide range of traditions.

I plan to write about this journey in the blog. Each week, I will visit a different church, and try to write about it in here. I plan to alternate between a liturgical church and a non-liturgical church.

I also plan to have a home church to check in on about once a month to have some continuity and a regular fellowship base. I have chosen First Presbyterian Church for this. I also play in the Guitar Mass about once a month at our local parish, St. James.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, excited to hear what the Lord teaches you on your journey. Is Petaluma a big city or small, how long do you think it will take you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rudy!

    I told you I'd get here eventually!!!

    Am enjoying visiting your site and reading about your visits.

    Hope to see you again soon! If you'll give me a heads-up when you're coming our way, I'll make sure I've no other commitments so we can enjoy some lunch or coffee afterwards.

    This is good work you've been doing, and I hope and pray God blesses you in it (as I'm sure he has)

    Mark 9:37-40, Luke 9:49-50

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the first question, Petaluma is a small city (or large town) of around 58,000. I think it will take about a year to visit all the churches.

    ReplyDelete