Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Cooks' Mass

I didn't attend a church in Petaluma this Sunday (Feb. 27) because almost my whole Sunday was taken up with activities around a Cursillo weekend in Santa Rosa. Though I didn't attend this weekend, I volunteered on Sunday for several activities with the weekend event. Some other time, I will describe a Cursillo weekend, though you can find a brief description at: http://www.roostercrows.com/. It is a wonderful renewal experience. (If anyone is interested in going on a Cursillo weekend, let me know. I would be happy to sponsor you.)

For those who volunteer on Sunday, they have what they call a Cook's Mass, a service with a Catholic priest and an Episcopal priest. Father Patrick Leslie, the Resident Priest at the Sonoma Developmental Center in Glen Ellen, who serves at Star of the Valley Church next to Oakmont Village (between Santa Rosa and Kenwood), and the Rev. Mark Allen, Rector at The Episcopal Church of St. Martin in Davis, California, jointly performed the service. I played guitar with others, and immensly enjoyed the service, which had an ecumenical flavor. (De Colores is a favorite expression within Cursillo which basically means the colors, but within Cursillo more conveys the sense of the many colors.) [Though I wasn't in Petaluma, many from Petaluma attended.]

No comments:

Post a Comment